Posted on July 18, 2019
Hosting @ google cloud ended.. so I’ll run new server at new place already – after I’ll finish tileset (~85% of filling database is ready).
I think tomorrow I’ll finish tileset.. then I got to finish town location.. And then I’ll have to merge to new PWMA version (it’s also not easy task, as I do it manually file by file). I hope this weekend new server would be ready 🙂
Struct loc progress… oh dear, did roughly 20/100 predicates and that’s like 1/15 commits. Fells like recoding everything.
Posted on July 14, 2019
Here’s the list of changes that have been implemented up to now:
– Spell info improvements
– Grey out unreadable books in the inventory
– Show recharge failure chances in item list
– Match class color with spellbooks, make ghosts light grey
– Switch the Brandywine Bridge area from special level to town
– Add option to overexert player instead of preventing casting when out of mana
– Updated mage class (arcane realm)
– Make slow and confuse monsters progressive
– New druid class (nature realm)
– Make Bookseller automatically sell all town books
– Remove class experience penalty
– Updated priest class (divine realm)
– Make demons living
– Updated necromancer class (shadow realm)
– Updated paladin class (divine realm)
– Updated rogue class (shadow realm)
– Allow rogues to steal from sleeping monsters
– Nerf extra shots (PWMAngband: implement fractional shots)
– Updated ranger class (nature realm)
– New blackguard class (shadow realm)
– Adjust hitdice
– Alchemist sells wands of Light and Stone to Mud instead of Hold Monster,
Stun Monster and Wonder
– Replace pointy penalty with blessed bonus
– Remove arcane glove penalty
– Reduce frequency of non-readable books
– Updated sorceror class (arcane realm)
– Allow wands of Heal Monster to work on other players
– Remove class restrictions for Dragons and race/class restrictions for
fruit bat mode except Dragon
– New FRIENDLY monster flag
– Make idle players even more stealthy
– Updated archer class (nature realm)
– Updated telepath class (psi realm)
– Updated summoner class (divine realm)
– Add maximum level requirement parameter for dungeons
– Add minimum level requirement system for objects (activated by
the LEVEL_REQUIREMENT server option)
– Stop non-damaging projections from waking up monsters
– Fix mana not updating bug
– Fix crash bug where some carried objects fail to be created
– Allow more than 255 terrain types
– Remove pointless cure blindness/confusion effects from spells which obviously
cannot be cast while blind or confused
– Improve monster detection code
– Improvements to effect code
– Change targets to struct target
– Make notifications on player timed effects finishing behave more sensibly
– Rework timed status effects
– Tweak class melee
– Replace coordinates with a struct loc
– Add a cooldown parameter for spells
– Remove obsolete CLASS_GHOST variable
– Set max townies in town.txt for each town and remove the cfg option
– Remove max trees cfg option, don’t grow trees and prevent destroying trees
in starting town
– Improve MvM code
Files updated: binaries only (source will come with first beta).
Files are available for download at the usual location: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr
YAY! Great job, Powerwyrm!
I’m finishing tileset atm, almost done 😀 Server would be updated very soon. I’ve figured out a few tricks which helps to add large amount of tiles faster (in case if you got 4x of the same tile for lights), example could be seen in my past streams:
Added windows, side tiles etc.. A few things left
Posted on July 11, 2019
Posted on July 8, 2019
Our magical world would have it’s own lore. It’s own story. It’s own history.
I’ve made decision to rename ‘Angband Online’ project to ‘Tangaria’ (accessible by tangaria.com). There are several reasons why I did so, there they are:
- for more than 10 years I’m creating my own fantasy world in form of the book. It’s called ‘Tangaria’. And it could be fun to make it ‘alive’ for real – in multiplay online game! Also I’ll start publishing chapters from my book at this website 🙂
- ‘Angband’ is Tolkien-based name and game itself got a lot of Tolkien lore in. And it means possible copyright problems, especially if we ever would come to Steam platform (which probably wouldn’t happen in several years, but still)
- ‘Angband’ name for a game got quite big history and I’m not sure that I deserve honour to use it; I was always a bit unsure – was I right to call project by this ‘loud’ name
- There is also http://angband.live which appeared long time before AO and it’s quite easy to get confused between angband.live and angband.online
- Acronym ‘AO’ is referring to a lot of other online games (eg Albion Online, Anarchy Online etc)
- ‘Tangaria’ sound more unique, it’s easy to remember (especially among 100+ variants of Angband).
- And the last reason.. I didn’t want to share it at the beginning, but I think I should do it to be completely honest. At first when I started ‘Angband Online’ server I was very proud to be part of V-Angband community. But after recent changes in V-Angband lore, something broken inside me and I can not properly associate myself with Angband community anymore. I respect this people, but I feel myself as divergent; I do not feel myself comfortable when I’m working at ‘Angband Online’ project after all this fray. So it’s time to part our ways.
Dragons and Giants (some like to call them Titans) are essential, primal forces of the World. Their magic was what gave life to the Earth and divided it from chaos. For past ages there were relative calm and pieceful life (if you could call it peaceful when hordes of orcs fight men, undeads stumbling elves from the north and Covent of Mages burning whole cities alive), but now there are appeared some strange events which look like real signs of coming catastrophe..
Posted on July 4, 2019
- Added more mountains tileset. They become very handy in creating entrance to Orc Caves dungeon (click to enlarge):
- Completed first 3 locations: Hidden Valley, Wolf’s Gorge and Orc’s Mountains. Now working on first town; btw during ru-stream Shtukensia tried her mapping skills, was fun! 😉
- Soon we would move to the new server. It’s already ready, just need to finish town and some neighbour location pieces (to put there temporary located dungeons, so game would be playable). Please note that upon moving there would be a full server wipe.
- Added some screenshots to the Media section. Please send you screenshots to our discord, I’ll put best of them to the website with your credit 🙂 Atm we need screenshots from the dungeons. Notice: we collect only screenshots made with properly adjusted (32×32 / 48×48) Gervais/ Tangar’s tileset.
- all classes are now done
- installed SDL2 and compiled it, now trying to remove the truckload of compile errors in main-sdl2 because of variables declared in the body of functions instead of beginning.
GJ Powerwyrm! It would be great to have SLD2 as it’s got pretty cool features! It could help eg to enhance lightning.
Posted on July 1, 2019
Phew. This is it. Added MOAR mountains and trees (ru stream). Also added new tiles with special lightning – to create dark and atmospheric narrow passages. I really hope it’s last tiles additions for now – I wanna proceed to MAP at last! 😀
I’ve understood new important thing – that location design is like creating a movie – you should not only try to make it realistic.. Actually sometimes it’s vice versa in our case because we got pixel-art style. The most important thing to make it look ‘nice’ and balanced. It’s art of design.. Previously I’ve had some experience in graphic design – it’s mainly control of elements and forms and their relations.
Before problem with mountains (when I put there too many different pieces together), I didn’t had feeling that location design got something common with traditional graphic design.. But actually there are a lot of common – elements and forms, colors and contrasts. You have to look at your location as at ‘picture’, not just trying to make it look diverse and like in ‘real-life’ (taking into account geomorphology principles etc).
Resume: properly designed map with 30 different tiles could look much better, than very diverse and erratic map made of 300 different tiles.
Posted on June 28, 2019
Ok, I’ve added moar stuff to terrain: trees, grasslands, ruins, lowlands, hills, walls etc, and added it to DB in todays’s stream. It’s super hard to stop working on new tiles, cause it’s becomes really fun after you get some experience with graphics making 🙂
Tomorrow I’ll assign it to Tiled and continue to work on the map.. I swear! No more new tiles for now 😛
Posted on June 27, 2019
@Powerwyrm: blackguard added! and instead of 8, the class comes with 20 spells! Many ideas imported from D&D blackguard, should be fun
I’ve finished adding new terrain for now; new 20+ different types of grass tiles – with dirt, small stones, leaves, hills etc. Tomorrow I’ll add them to DB and continue to design the map.
For newcomers: just wanna point out that atm server got old version of the game; all this updates not released yet, but soon ™ they would be live 😀
Posted on June 26, 2019
.psd with tiles updated