Tangaria – free open-source persistent online multiplayer roguelike game. In addition to traditional roguelike features, it has MMORPG-like gameplay: real-time (with semi-turn-based mode when you are injured), PvE in group, trading between players, real economy, PvP etc
– permadeath mode only. Traditional roguelike experience.
– one character per account. It’s forbidden to have more than one account per person.
– disconnected stairs. Up/down staircases are ‘not connected’ between levels to prevent stair-scumming.
– no selling to NPC. It removes boring grind from the game; in return you get extra gold in the dungeon and could trade with other players.
– custom world. Unique handmade locations which inhabited with proper creatures.
– consensual PvP only: both players must be hostile to each other. No ganking
– rebalanced telepathy & detection: exploration matters!
– deep world lore and storyline based at unique fantasy universe (in progress).
…and much much more!
Tangaria based at powerful PWMAngband game engine which got Angband core and latest vanilla features (tileset support, new ID/curses/traps systems, item managment etc); and also PWMAngband has it’s own unique multyplayer stuff, eg advanced ‘time bubble’ (slow down time when you are on low hp, making game almost turn-based while in danger), ‘Necklace of the Eye’ (you could try to play the game in 3D mode or even VR, no joking!), new gameplay mechanics like necromancy, summoning etc
Our first goal is to enrich traditional Angband gameplay with Nethack‘s spirit (various random gameplay events); at the same time to do not overburden game with spoiler-based Nethack’s stuff (like hatching eggs, imba polymorph control, altar grind etc) as we want to focus players’ exploration on actual gameplay, not on reading the spoilers via code (that’s why game updates often include only hints about stuff which were introduced). And of course we are not limited only by Nethack’s influence, we wanna bring to the game:
- Roguelikish stuff from DCSS, ToME, ADOM and other great rlg’s;
- Game world immersion from MUD’s (aka text MMORPGs);
- Attention to details from DnD;
- Sandbox ideas from Ultima Online (furniture in player’s houses lol) and some other MMORPG’s.
Considering lore: we are following classic fantasy traditions; Tangaria got it’s own fantasy world, which is inspired by Middle-Earth & DnD worlds, but got totally different approach to many things; details would come soon.
Tangaria origins from PWMAngband (2007) – one of the original trinity of online roguelike genre; PWMA was initially based on MAngband (1998) and also got some TomeNET (2001) features. All three games are in active developent, got very different and unique gameplay, make sure to try them!
Currently our server is in beta test and wipe could happen after sometime. But wipe in roguelike game with permadeath is nothing, really 😉 Join us right now! Also you are welcome to ask any questions @ our Discord.
You could understand how the game looks like by watching videos @ https://youtube.com/GlazGame
Russian web-site – tangar.info/tangaria/ – русскоязычный сайт по игре